Friday, July 8, 2011

Rainy Day Dilemma

It’s been raining a lot here and apparently it’s supposed to be rainy all weekend. That means… my first real run in the rain! I’ve only done it once before and that was only like a mile. I’m ready to suck in up and go for it!

In the meantime, I’m feeling like snuggling up in bed and reading for the rest of the day. My only problem is that I have so many good books I want to read and I can’t decide. If only I knew how to read multiple books at once – and I don’t mean switching back and forth, I’ve got that one down.  No, I mean literally read more than one book at a time. That would be a cool super power. Just imagine how handy that would have been during college.

One of my favorite authors ever is Madeline L’Engle. I don’t care that most of her books are technically children's books, they're so good and I’m obsessed. I haven’t read the Wrinkle in Time series recently so I’ve decided to read through them again. Then I “liked” Free Books for Kindle on facebook and everyday they post a ton of free books. Very tempting. I could easily add 10 books a day to my kindle but then I would just get depressed cause I wasn’t reading them.

Before the rain hit Rachel and I did stadiums.


 You would think by this time that I would get the hang of these self timer photos


A little better, other than the "I'm still mostly asleep" look on my face
Today was so much better than Wednesday. I’m not sure if it was mental, physical or both but I rocked it today. Wednesday I was dying and skipped my last two but today I did it all with time to spare.

Then I headed out to watch C


For 5 hours…


He’s really fussy and will only play with a toy for about 2 minutes before he starts fussing again. He doesn’t like to be held and he doesn’t like to sit and he doesn’t like to be put down… it’s difficult. I wasn’t sure how 5 hours with him would go but everything went really well. He started fussing as soon as his mom got home which made me feel really bad because overall he was pretty happy with me.

I had originally planned to hit the gym on the way home but my desire for caffeinated coffee won out. I have to have my last cup of caffeinated coffee before 3 or I won’t be able to sleep at night. Well, the coffee was great and I’m mostly glad I stopped at home but now I don’t want to go back out again. It’s rainy, I’m sleepy and my bed is just so comfy.

I read a quote… somewhere this week. It’s specifically about running but really you can apply it to anytime you don’t really feel like working out:

We rarely regret the runs we finish, only the ones we skip

Okay, so I totally botched it… but that’s the gist of it.

After repeating that quote several times to myself I finally pulled myself out of bed and hit the gym


All I felt like doing today was cardio so I walked for 30 minutes on the treadmill and read A Wrinkle in Time

30 minutes and 3 miles on the elliptical – watched The Real Housewives of Orange County reunion… part 2. Part of me hates all those shows and then part of me loves them because there’s always drama. It doesn’t matter when you tune in, if you’ve never watched any episodes before or watch them out of order – there’s just always going to be drama and I guess train wrecks are entertaining to watch? Because I am a horrible human being…

20 minutes on the bike while reading

I was actually really enjoying myself on the bike and I would have stayed for a lot longer but Rachel told my dad she wanted to use the car and that if he brought it to her at the gym that I would give him a ride home. So nice of her to volunteer my services. I agreed and said I would text him when I had about 20 minutes left to go. Then he texted me when I wasn’t even half way through and told me he was 10 minutes away. I did the bike anyways and then picked him up and brought him home. I think he said “well, I didn’t want you to have to wait for me”… as if I couldn’t find something to do at the gym ;)

I stopped at The Fresh Market on the way home and picked myself up some Kombucha! They were buy one get one free so of course I bought 6 of them. If I wasn’t so tired I would go and look up the link to the place where I read that you should only have a small serving of Kombucha a day, not a whole bottle. It’s going to be really hard to limit myself I think.

For dinner I made myself some roasted brussel sprouts. I had a bunch that were about to go bad so I cooked them all up. I’m probably the only person who does this but I usually eat my brussel sprouts with mustard. Today I decided to try them with guacamole but there wasn’t enough to cover all of them… so I added in some mustard. That sounds really crazy but it tasted so good! If you don’t like brussel sprouts you should totally try them with guac and mustard.

One of my favorite things about blogging and reading other healthy living blogs is that it makes me feel much more normal. I am telling you, I can count the friends I have on one hand that have a similar lifestyle to the one I’m trying to lead and who wouldn’t think I was completely out of my mind for coming up with a meal like that.

That being said… I still sometimes worry about things like pregnancy cravings. Are they real? If I’m eating stuff like brussel sprouts with guac and mustard NOW what the heck will I be eating when I’m pregnant? Disclaimer: I am not, nor do I plan to become pregnant anytime soon.

Is there any foods or combinations of food that you have and love that other people think are really weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment