Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday Funday... or is it?


Sunday is my recovery day. Or atleast, it’s supposed to be…


I find that it’s really hard to take a break when you’ve worked out hard all week. When I take a break I feel guilty or lazy. I know how important it is to take a day off and let your muscles recover to prevent injury and to grow stronger but man… mentally I’m ready to keep workin. I just feel weak when I take a break.

I obviously need to spend some time figuring out how to enjoy my time off and learn to enjoy relaxing.

I just got P90X in the mail and was really excited about the breadth of workouts provided. I’m not going to follow any of the P90X plans, I’m just going to add them into my library of workout DVDs and pop one in when I feel like doing a specific workout. A few of the workouts that I am especially excited about are the stretching DVD and the yoga DVD. I can use these DVDs on Sunday so that I’m still doing something active but I’m still giving my muscles a chance to relax. Also, I’m not great with stretching after a workout so I think a whole DVD of stretching will really be beneficial for me.

Just to clarify… I do stretch after workouts but unless I really spend a long time stretching, I don’t feel that I’ve stretched deeply enough. I’m used to the stretches for ballet that go a lot deeper than the stretches most workout DVDs provide or any of the stretches offered on running websites.

So that stretching DVD is on my list of things to do at some point today. After I got home from church my brother convinced me to do Ab Ripper X with him. If you’re not familiar with P90X, this DVD is about 15 minutes of intense ab exercises. What I really enjoy about this DVD (and all the P90X DVDs I’ve done so far) is that even though the exercise is intense, you only do each exercise for 30 seconds. I can take 30 seconds of anything. Well… mostly . My sister also decided to join in and we all set up in the living room and did our 15 minutes of abs. Needless to say, it was pretty cramped in our tiny living room with all three of us sprawled on the floor. I think in the future I’ll stick to doing this one on my own

QUESTION OF THE DAY: Do you find it easy to take a day off from exercise? What do you do on your recovery day?

No comments:

Post a Comment