Thursday, August 19, 2010

Runners High

Ahhhh

It feels so good to be running again.  There's just a feeling that I get while I'm running that I can't get any other way.  I guess it's maybe a little like meditation?  I am not at all an expert on that topic since I've never meditated before in my life.  But I just get in a zone where I'm so focused on the rhythm of my breathing and the sound of my feet hitting the pavement.  It just feels so good.  I can just feel the stress sort of evaporating.  It's really a great feeling.

I know that glowing review makes it sound like I had an awesome run...

And I did, but maybe not as awesome as you would expect after a week away from running.  Or maybe that is exactly what would be expected after not running for a whole week.  Hah, again, not an expert.  Anyways, I got out and I was feeling really good.  I thought for sure I would be able to hit my goal of 4.5 miles.  Then half way through my first loop I ran into a dog on the loose. 

Ugh, I just hate dogs anymore.  I've had way too many bad experiences with dogs.  I have a scar next to my belly button from a great dane attacking me.  A few years ago when I was on a run a dog chased after me and barked and lunged at me everytime I moved an inch.  I was probably standing there for about 20 minutes (crying by the end of the 20 minutes) before a neighbor came outside to rescue me.  A few months ago I was house sitting and one of my jobs was taking the dogs for walks every day.  A much larger dog came and attacked one of the small dogs I was walking.  I had to literally wrestle on the ground with this larger dog until he released the little dog out of his jaw.  I never really liked dogs in the first place but at this point when I see one I just turn around.  I would rather not deal with that if I can avoid it. 

At first I was really disappointed but then I decided I would just do the smaller loop around my block and just run around it several time.  I really prefer the longer loops, the whole run just seems shorter when I'm not running around and around and around.  I ran around the smaller loop 5 times which is 3 miles.  Then I did one cool down loop.  About half way through the last loop pain started shooting through the side of my knee.  I'm almost positive that my knee issues involve the IT band.  Grr.  So frustrating.  I tried to run through it (bad thing?) but had to stop.  I really wanted to run for 30 minutes straight and I stopped to walk at 28 minutes.  I walked for one minute and then ran for 2 and then finished up my cool down loop. 

My calorie burn was 258.  This is pretty average for me.  I don't know how some of these people get these HUGE calorie burns.  I workout HARD but my calorie burns are between 500-700 overall for the whole day.  I know I'm 5'0 and about 97lbs but STILL.  It's frustrating for me to read others blogs and see "1058 calorie burn" for a 1.5 hour workout.  I try not to compare myself to others but sometimes it's hard not to.

There's a fine line between finding someone who can inspire you and finding someone who seems so many leagues above you in ability and physical fitness that it seems like an unattainable goal.  It's great to have something to aspire to, but it's important to focus on little steps along the way.  Give yourself credit for accomplishing each step, no matter how small that step may seem on the way to the ultimate goal.  Eventually all those steps will add up to the mile and before you know it you'll be at the mile... and then you'll be looking for another goal to attain :)

No comments:

Post a Comment