Monday, August 9, 2010

Back to work

Not only is today Monday, it's also means back to work for me.  I'm teaching 7 ballet classes this year which is two more than last year.  I had 3 of my classes today and they went pretty smoothly for the most part.  Now I'm exhausted!  My legs ache from the knee down, especially my ankles.  I'm skipping out on a few of my planned exercises for today.  I meant to do a Jeri Love weight routine from her Body Rock DVD but I just can't make myself do it. 

I really do better exercising in the morning.  I'm much more likely to get it DONE.  The later in the day it gets the more likely I am to wimp out on a workout.  After about 10 PM my body just keeps repeating "bed time, bed time, please just lay down and go to sleep."

Oh well, 30 minute bicycle ride is going to replace my weights for today.  My car's engine died almost two weeks ago and so today I rode my bike to work.  Thank God it's only a 15 minute drive away.  The bicycle ride wasn't bad either.  I was sort of dreading it because of a bad biking experience awhile back.  A few years ago when I had car troubles I rode my bike from the university campus to work and then from work to home after teaching my classes.  I almost died.  It was just awful.  So bad that I had to get off my bike and WALK!  I know, I hate admiting that, but for one thing I wasn't in the kind of shape I'm in right now, and for another thing I was carrying a 9lb laptop, a fairly heavy U-lock and maybe a book or two.  This time I just had a change of clothes, ballet shoes, phone, wallet, etc. 

Even though the ride wasn't that bad I was still pretty sweaty by the time I got there.  I left a lot of time because I wasn't sure how long the ride would take and also because I wanted to have a chance to dry off and change clothes.  When I got to the dance studio I went upstairs where we have a portable air conditioning unit and just stood next to the unit with the fan on full speed and the temperature as low as it goes.

I had planned to ride the bike home but my wonderful mother called just as I had hopped on the bike and informed me that she was picking me up :)

After I got home I went out and ran stadiums.  I love stadiums.  INTENSE exercise but you get such good results in such a short time.  I have the University of Florida's Ben Hill Griffin Stadium close by and I try to workout there about 3 times a week.  My normal workout is 7 times running up and down the steps all the way to the top followed by three times walking up the bleachers.  I usually do lunges on the bottom steps because they're closer together and I can't feel anything unless I amp up the difficulty a bit :).  Then after I finish my last time down I jump with both of my feet together up the bottom steps.

When I got home I had some DELICIOUS zucchini parmesan and then went on a nice brisk walk with my mom. 

QUESTION OF THE DAY: When do you workout?  What time of the day are you most likely to get a workout done?

1 comment:

  1. Sharon, that stadium workout sounds like a killer. I agree with you. I like to workout in the morning. I hate going through the day thinking about working out. Presently my work schedule does not allow me to workout in the morning I have to workout about 4 or 5pm. The good news is it is only temporary.