Monday, February 21, 2011

Party Machine

If you read my blog at all you know that my life pretty much consists of a lot of babysitting, ballet teaching and fitness... and that's about it.  In essence, I really have no life.  I have a big sob story about how all of my friends graduated and moved but it really all boils down to the fact that I am not a go getter.  I am a homebody to the max and I really need friends who will call me and make me feel guilty for not spending time with them.  I guess that means I will eventually need a needy husband to force me to spend time with him. 

Once my friends convince me to leave the house I always have a great time but I never seem to remember this when it comes time to leave the house.  Re-writing goals for 2011 right now - BE MORE SOCIAL - I promise you will love it (speaking to myself)!

What is a little disappointing to me is that suddenly several social activities all pile up on one night or one weekend.  I'm not great with analogies but to me this feels sort of like I've just been given 5 cakes and instead of being able to eat them slowly over time I just have to smash them all in during one day. 

This past weekend I was given "5 cakes" or rather, several social activities.

On Friday I had not one but two parties to attend!  I know, it's unbelievable!

The first party was for Evie, the little girl that I used to babysit almost everyday a few months ago before they moved.

I love and miss this little girl more than words can express so I could not be happier when her mom told me they would be coming back for her 2 year birthday party.

I LOVED seeing her and her mom.  I had a great time playing with her and hugging her and talking to her.  I was a big crying mess when I had to say goodbye to her.





She got to sit in this huge princess chair and was so distracted by everything that was going on that I couldn't get her to look at me for more than a second at the time - hence the pictures that look like she could care less about me :)

After the party I stopped at the health food store and spent a fortune

I didn't eat anything at the party - oh wait, I did have a tiny bit of ice cream.  The foods offered were pizza, ice cream and birthday cake.  I'm not really into any of these.  Pizza, okay maybe, but birthday cake is just disgusting to me and ice cream... eh.  I have a hard time getting away with not eating at parties though.  I get pestered and pestered and I hate to make a big deal out of it and offend someone with explaining exactly why I don't want to fill my body with that crap so sometimes I just cave.  It would be nice if caving meant eating something delicious...

I was so hungry on the way home from the health food store that I opened some of my groceries right there in the car.



Slightly inappropriate image of my eats ;)
Unsweetened carob chips and 85% cacao chips.  I LOVE the carob.  Cacao chips just taste like semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Later that night I attended a housewarming party for a friend of mine.  Everyone who came was supposed to bring a side or dessert.  The main meal consisted of hamburgers, hot dogs and mac n cheese.  Vegetarian heaven?  I think not...

I ate before I went and since I didn't have too much time I picked out an easy dessert and threw it together.  I made Angela's Two Bite Double Down Brownies 
Sooo good.  First of all, I don't think they should be called brownies.  They were not super sweet or moist and that's kind of what I think of when I think of brownies.  They were more like something you would eat with coffee.  I really enjoyed them.  I'm a huge fan of dark chocolate and I loved that they weren't overpoweringly sweet. 



I carried them in my left hand the whole way there - thankfully, they only live about 10 minutes away :)

Unfortunately... none of my friends liked them.  At all.  The girls were very polite about it.  I watched a few of them take a bit and kind of put it aside.  However, some of the guys arrived at the party a little tipsy (to say the least) and they had no problem telling me exactly how horrible these things tasted.  One guy talked for about 5 minutes about how he had tasted dog biscuits that tasted better.  Um... yeah, thank you so much.  How rude can you get?  I will obviously never be friends with that guy. 

I brought them home and made my mom taste them the next day.  She loved them!  Rachel tried some later in the day and also loved them.  So why did my friends dislike them SO much?  I came to the conclusion that these individuals are so used to eating food that is super processed, very unnatural with tons of added sugars and bad fats that they didn't know good healthy food when they tasted it.  I was very bothered by the whole situation.  I already get laughed at enough that I'm vegetarian and people are sort of convinced that I eat food that tastes like cardboard and that I don't enjoy my food.  This is ridiculous.  I love my food and I think it's delicious - I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.  What I really wanted to do was make something that they really enjoyed and then surprise them by telling them it was vegan... FAIL.  Oh well - next time! 

What's there to complain about when I got to take them home and eat the majority of them the next day? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment