Monday, September 6, 2010

Running is MY drug


I am just LOVING running.  I get this sense of accomplishment that I don't get when performing any other exercise.  I feel so strong. 

My sister is probably going to kill me but I am seriously wanting to drop a lot of the other things I'm doing (specifically running stadiums) so that I can really focus on improving running.  I am just itching to start training for a marathon but every time I look at a training schedule I end up deciding not to train because I would need to run several days in a row and since my current schedule is running every other day and stadiums on my off-running days I would end up running stadiums and running on certain days.  I think that's just way to much and would probably cause some injuries down the road. 

Last Thursday I decided to do the "dreaded Publix run" as I call it.  I've only run this route once before and it was awful.  My knee decided half way through the run that it didn't want to work anymore and I had an awful time getting home.  My brother used to run a lot and this was one of his routes.  I've finally worked up to it.  I always thought it was really far but now that I've been working on increasing my millage I've realized that it's really a fairly easy run.

I've been keeping my running fairly close to home.  I've justified this to myself thinking that I'll get out and start running and if I don't feel up to the run then I'll be close to home and can cut it short or if I'm feeling really good then I can just keep adding more 1.5 mile loops.  I've decided that this is a wimpy way to plan things and that I'm never going to improve if I'm always leaving myself an easy way out. 

My new plan is to just go out for long runs.  I'm going to decide on my millage before I go out and start running and once I'm out on the run I'll essentially have no choice but to do the whole run.  This may come back and bite me in the butt, however, I think it's really best for me at this point.  I'm really stronger than I know and I can do this.  I need to stop doubting my abilities and just get out there and do it.

Anyways, Thursday's "dreaded Publix run" was my longest run yet.  I ran 8 miles in 70 minutes.  I felt AWESOME!  It's so excited and I really feel like a real runner now.  I can't wait to see what this week will bring. 

I really wanted to continue my awesome running on the weekend but I had some issues that interfered.  On Sunday I had a dance performance.  I had a rehearsal on Thursday night and on Saturday.  On Thursday night I was feeling my run.  I felt great most of the day but by the evening I was feeling something.  I'm still not sure what it was but I got sick.  I felt achy all over and had the chills.  That rehearsal was AWFUL but when I got home I hopped right into bed and slept for about 8 hours.  In the morning I was feeling back to normal.  However, I didn't want to push it and push myself so hard that I performed poorly on Sunday.  So I took it easy and just ran 3 miles on Saturday evening.  That was really the perfect amount because I felt great on Sunday and performed really well. 

Mondays aren't usually the days that I run on but I'm craving a run.  It's WAY later then I usually run but it's looking kind of overcast and cool out so I may cave and go for a run. 

Hope everyone has a great day off today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment